Background

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Honey Lime Tilapia...dinner anyone?!

If you are what you eat, I'm a fish and that would explain why I'm attracted to everything that is shiny or sparkles! 
  Tilapia isn't really my favorite fish because it tends to have a 'fishy' smell and taste....NOT this recipe! Yummo in my tummo as we say around here! Pretty amazing! 

Pinterest kills me. I want to make everything, renovate my house, refurbish all of my grandma's furniture, and EAT everything! I have yet to come across a recipe on pinterest that I haven't loved!

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2013/03/honey-lime-tilapia.html


Honey Lime Tilapia
Ingredients
    Fish and Marinade:
  • 4 tilapia fillets (about 4-5 ounces each)
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice (from 1 large lime)-I used lime juice from the lime looking plastic container ;)
  • Zest of 1 lime
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt- Not really a fan of salt so I usually cut this down to half
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • The second time I made this, I doubled all the ingredients for the same amount of fish. SUPER tasty!
  • Coating and Cooking:
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt skipped this
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper skipped this
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions
  1. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, lime zest, olive oil, honey, salt, pepper and garlic. Place the tilapia in a gallon-sized ziploc bag and pour the marinade on top of the fish. Press the air out of the bag and seal. Refrigerate the fish for at least an hour and up to 4 hours. It helps to lay the bag in a flat dish and turn it over once or twice during the marinading time since the marinade won't completely cover the fish.
  2. Before cooking, whisk together the flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish like a pie plate. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until rippling and hot. Dredge each tilapia fillet in the flour, coating both sides lightly. Cook the fillets for 3-5 minutes per side without moving the fish while it cooks on each side; this will ensure a more even browning. Adjust the cooking time as needed depending on the thickness of the tilapia and the heat of the skillet and work in batches if necessary so the skillet isn't overcrowded.
  3. Serve immediately with lime wedges. A little extra if you add green onion on top too.
When I doubled the recipe, I basically made the 'mixture' twice and dumped each one in separate bags. Did that even make sense?

Lightly coated fish, that oddly resemble mittens, with whole wheat flour. If you haven't used whole wheat flour, there isn't a taste difference compared to regular flour. There were more of these but I forgot I was going to blog this and needed to take pictures BEFORE the hubs cooked them! 
He's sooo good! I do the prepping and anytime it's fish, I make my awesome husband cook them. Not sure why, but I feel better about it! Sorry for the mess, I'd like to say that it isn't always like this but lying is right! I need a house cleaner, the current one I have is terrible (it's me)! 

Kinsley and the hubs LOVE shrimp so I made a side of shrimp as well. 

Ingredients (my version edited) 
1/3 cup olive oil
1 lemon, zested then half cut into thin slices and other half into wedges-lemon juice in the same lemon shaped plastic container is great too.
3-4 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves removed-the bottled spice works and is less work
sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper-to taste
2 tablespoons butter-melt
1 pound fresh shrimp, medium-sized, deveined with tails off 
5 cloves garlic, minced
I even added a tiny dash of paprika to the mix
Instructions
  1. Mix all ingredients together, I use a large measuring glass and let marinate at least 2 hours in the fridge, make sure all shrimp have been fully covered with the sauce.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. While oven is heating, cover baking dish with foil and add shrimp. Lightly drizzle extra sauce over the top of shrimp (this prevents them from getting too dry).
  3. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and just start to curl, check often. 

I'm soooo not a shrimp person, I think it's a texture thing but I had these and they were so tasty and not 'shrimp' slimy/smelly. 
My shrimp fresh from the oven! 

Why can't my photos be this cute? One day I won't have 2 people (my husband and 3 yr old) crying that they are hungry, maybe then, I'll have time to 'spice' up my photos. Hahaha, that was so pun-ny of me! 

Add some long grain rice and steam fresh broccoli...Dinner! And once again, ZERO calories! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment